- “Croc! You got here quickly. There are more Gobbo's to rescue. Are you up for it?”
- – [[King Rufus, Volcanic Panic|King Rufus, Volcanic Panic]]
King Rufus appears just like any other Gobbo: two small brown balls of fluff with feet, tiny hands, a long tail with a black tuft at the end and big blue eyes. The only difference is that he wears a crown upon his head. In some promotional artwork, he also dons a royal red cape. In Croc 2, he sports the appearance of every other Gobbo in the game, being nearly as tall as Croc and having a full body with no tail.
King Rufus is the single most powerful Gobbo in the Gobbo Archipelago. It was he that rescued Croc and raised him as his own, making King Rufus Croc's adoptive father. Therefore, very loosely, he is the one that saved the Gobbos from Baron Dante.
Due to his status amongst the Gobbos, it was he that Baron Dante captured and locked up in his castle during the Invasion of Gobbo Valley. He had no choice but to place his faith in his adopted son, waiting for him to save him.
PersonalityKing Rufus is shown to be a kind and caring leader, who takes in Croc himself, and builds a statue of his adopted son when he saves them from Baron Dante.
However, in Croc Mobile: Volcanic Panic!, he is shown to be unsympathetic towards Croc, not caring that he might be hurt or even bothering to tell him that he is getting wed, showing poor communication. Since these games were not created by Argonaut though, it's possible that this is not canon, since it does not match up with what we had seen previously from him. It's also never explained just why he decides against telling Croc about his wedding.
- King Rufus is Lactose Intolerant.
- In Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, he is seen locked in a Cage, but instead of needing a Silver Key to unlock, Croc merely tail-attacks it to free Rufus after defeating Baron Dante.
- King Rufus has an entirely different model in Croc 2, to match the new Gobbos.
- In Croc Mobile: Volcanic Panic!, King Rufus weds Princess Tara.